This is how I qualify spending. In determining the value of something.
1. Will it make me happy 24 hours later?
2. Will it make me happy one week later?
3. Is it replacing something that I am sorely missing?
4. Will I receive something in return? (e.g. social currency)
5. Does it help an organization I believe in?
6. Do I desperately need it now?
7. Am I paying significantly under full price?
If the the item, the meal, the experience…answers positively at least 5 of the questions, then I smack down the money.
Riding a taxi rarely if ever answers 5 of those.